Share this job with family or a friend
Military Transition Scheme – Defence Equipment Sales Project Lead
Are you a service leaver who’s passionate about using your knowledge and experience to ensure military equipment is safe to operate, resilient and capable? Join the Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) Military Transition Scheme as a Sales Project Lead, and you’ll work closely with our military customers and industry to deliver and innovate.
We value the wide-ranging skills and experience of service leavers, and we’re working together with the Cabinet Office and Career Transition Partnership (CTP) to offer you the chance to take on a fixed-term contract of up to two years. You’ll become a civil servant with access to all our usual benefits, including our support to develop and progress. From CV writing and interview preparation to on-the-job and formal training, we’ll coach and support you to apply for a permanent role with us when you’re ready.
We’re an integral part of UK Defence. We make sure our military is equipped, supported, and connected, as they protect life at home and overseas. We manage a vast range of complex projects to buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need, so they can operate safely and effectively.
About this role
Join our team as a Sales Project Lead to deliver the C-130J Asset Sales Programme which consists of a three-year government-to-government sales programme to market, negotiate and commit to sale fifteen C-130J platforms.
Some of the key responsibilities may include:
- Maintenance of the project mandate
- Support for production and maintenance of the project schedule
- Stakeholder management and engagement, including delivery teams, front-line commands, and design authority
- Financial management within the project
- Manage risks, assumptions, issues, dependencies, and opportunities for the sale
- Delivery in line with DE&S and MOD governance and assurance processes
- Ability to engage effectively with overseas government and military stakeholders, including travelling to nations, and hosting multi-day inwards visits.
“At DE&S, we’re proud to work hand in hand with the UK Armed Forces to deliver and maintain cutting-edge military capabilities – making us a natural next step for many service leavers. Uniquely able to understand the needs of our military customers, veterans represent skills, experience and values that are critical to our national security mission. In turn, we offer stable, rewarding, and meaningful careers working on some of the most capable defence equipment in the world.” – Andy Start, DE&S CEO
Who are we looking for?
You’ll need to have:
- In-depth working knowledge of C-130 characteristics and capabilities, including project management and business case writing skills for our Air Command client
- Experience of dealing with senior military and government officials, including internationally
We employ many military service leavers, and we’re keen to attract many more. Your experience aligns with our purpose, and your knowledge means you’ll add value for both our end users and the taxpayer from the get-go. In turn, we offer great opportunities both in terms of development and meaningful, vocational work.
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- Join us with a break in service from the military of less than five years, having completed five years of military service, and the military leave allowance will be preserved, and you will be awarded 30 days of leave
- Eight bank holidays and an extra day off for the King’s birthday
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
- Discover more about our benefits
To be eligible to join through this route:
- Veteran candidates must:
- have served within the Armed Forces for at least 1 year
- be within 5 years of leaving the Armed Forces
- be within 10 years if you have been medically discharged
- Military partners or spouses must:
- have a current serving partner/spouse
- have a partner/spouse who falls within the above veteran criteria
Ready to join us?
Please submit your CV to Alexander.Handley101@mod.gov.uk
We thank you for your service and look forward to hearing from you.
Defence Equipment Sales Project Lead – Military Transition Scheme
£52,500 per annum (plus generous benefits inc. an average 27% employer pension contribution)
23-month fixed-term contract
Full-time, Flexible working
Number of posts