Job description for Data Science Specialist
As part of the Information Management & IT function, your impact will be felt across the organisation, helping to embed new technology and tools, automate processes and improve data management. We’ll support you to innovate, as you bring positive change and fresh ideas to the team. Don’t settle for the status quo. Improve on what’s gone before – and drive for what’s next.
This is an exciting time to join the Data Science team here at DE&S (Defence Equipment & Support). We are looking to expand the team by recruiting an experienced Data Science Specialist who will support our continued journey to transform the usage and quality of data across the organisation.
The work of a DE&S Data Science Specialist has become highly visible and delivers demonstrable value. You’ll be leading on delivery of work that aligns to our overarching MI & Data Analytics strategy and delivers analytical solutions for business needs. You will be able to bring your entire skillset to the role from Data wrangling to Machine Learning, from developing innovative new data science capabilities, to embedding reproducible analytical pipelines.
If you have professional experience of delivering excellent data science outputs in support of Management Information and Business Intelligence programmes, this could be the perfect opportunity to progress your career in a large, complex and exciting organisation. We offer outstanding training and development opportunities, defined progression routes, and a host of other benefits including our ‘Smarter Working’ policy, which means that you’ll be able to enjoy a high degree of flexible working whilst also having the opportunity to work at our MOD Abbey Wood campus.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
This post requires SC (Security Clearance).
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Data Science Specialist
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Perform complex exploratory data analysis using tools and techniques to interrogate unfamiliar data sets, highlighting any discrepancies and ensuring it is suitable for data science.
- Apply Machine Learning, e.g., Random Forests, NLP & Neural Networks to share insights with Stakeholders to influence business decisions.
- Use best data science practices to generate reproducible work and provide project inputs or consultancy and stakeholder engagement.
- Manage the development of updates to existing models & tooling and maintain operational resilience and investigate complex errors and/or unusual results.
- Be responsible for providing challenge from a data science perspective and collaborate with other analytical professionals, to provide collective insights and grow DE&S capability.
- Regularly use intellectual curiosity to explore data, models and software applications to support data mining and more efficient data manipulation and visualisation, whilst mentoring others.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- High level of experience in Data Science.
- Strong experience of the Python coding language and familiarity with Anaconda ecosystem or similar environment and package management tooling.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- MI and Analytics – Practitioner
- Development and Implementation – Supervised Practitioner
- Communicating and Influencing – CSBC 3
- Deliver at Pace – CSBC 3
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period)
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for the Data Science Specialist role by creating an account and uploading your details.