Job description for Data Analyst
As part of the Information Management & IT function, your impact will be felt across the organisation, helping to embed new technology and tools, automate processes and improve data management. We’ll support you to innovate, as you bring positive change and fresh ideas to the team. Don’t settle for the status quo. Improve on what’s gone before – and drive for what’s next.
This role brings access to specialist training and lots of avenues for learning and progression – whether you’re interested in developing new technical skills or reaching the next step up. You’ll also benefit from a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
This is an exciting time to join the MI & Data Analytics team within our Information Management & Information Technology (IM&IT) team here at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), as we grow the community with the hire of several Data Analysts who will support our continued journey to transform the usage and quality of data across the organization.
The work of a DE&S Data Analyst is front and center of the DE&S 2025 strategy. In joining our Information Management & Information Technology (IM&IT) team as a Data Analyst you will be able to bring your entire skillset to the role to deliver analytical solutions for business needs, tackling data manipulation, extract, transform and load data (ETL), and data reporting, through to ad-hoc tasks and supporting continuous improvement projects.
You will work with the industry standard Microsoft Business Intelligence (MS BI) stack and will have the opportunity to explore an increasing number of complex datasets, solving interesting problems, forming new questions, challenging the established narrative, and informing stakeholders in key functions across the organization with compelling visualizations.
If you have professional experience of producing Management Information (MI) and the analysis of data, this could be the perfect opportunity to progress your career. We offer outstanding training and development opportunities, defined progression routes, and a host of other benefits including our ‘Smarter Working’ policy, which means that you will be able to enjoy a high degree of flexible working whilst also having the opportunity to work at our Ministry of Defence (MOD) Abbey Wood campus in Bristol.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Data Analyst
The responsibilities as a Data Analyst will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Gather, analyze, explore, and visualize the data to present the ‘story’ of the data in a meaningful way
• Build credible statistical models from the data and use best coding practices to generate reproducible work
• Identify complex business problems whilst leveraging data value, use an evolving range of data analysis tools
• Support the development and application of the data governance processes
• Validate, store, process and protect data to make it dependable, highlighting any discrepancies and ensuring it is accessible to users in a secure authorized way
• Identify patterns and trends to share insights with the team to inform business decisions
• Advise team members working on application development with the details for data structures, associated components, and methods of extraction
• Extensively use intellectual curiosity to explore data, models, and software applications to support data mining and more efficient data manipulation and visualization
• Collaborate with team members and actively grow your analytical and data handling knowledge
• Be an active part of the Management Information (MI) & Data Analytics community, attend meetings and participate in working groups
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Experience of running a data analysis project within an organization, from raw data to the production of management information
• Demonstrable experience utilizing SQL for Data Analysis, Power BI, or other languages
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Demonstrable experience utilizing SSAS and SSIS
• Demonstrable experience of using a Data Visualization tool ((e.g., Power BI / Tableau / Cognos / Crystal Reports / etc.)
• Experience using T-SQL
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• MI & Analytics
• Data Literacy
• Working together
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Please note, our salary bands are under review and may increase. If the outcome of the review results in an increase in the minimum salary and your salary offer falls below the new minimum, your salary will be increased to the new amount from your contracted start date. If the new minimum is less than the salary you are offered, the original salary offer will be retained.
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and uploading your details.