Job Description for a Cyber Security Engineer
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Are you a Cyber Security Engineer looking to support decision making across the lifecycle of multiple complex projects? We, at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), currently have several exciting opportunities for Cyber Security Engineers to work within our Internal Technical Support (ITS) team.
We provide specialist security and information assurance support to a huge variety of projects including the ‘Challenger 3’ Battle Tank development and other Military Platforms. This covers combat aircraft and armoured vehicles to submarines, aircraft carriers and land-based communications. DE&S ensures the UK military have access to equipment with world leading capabilities that is resilient to cyber-attacks. This team makes a big difference to projects integral to supporting our Armed Forces!
Our team works closely with clients across a range of delivery teams as intelligent decision makers and subject matter experts (SMEs). Working within this challenging, fast-moving, and ever-changing environment, we offer great opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge with us to build a career in Cyber. You will be empowered to provide guidance and advice on areas including information risk management, architecture development, security accreditation, threat analysis, cryptography and information technology assessment within agreed time frames and budgets.
We are keen to attract, develop and retain Cyber Security Engineers, therefore we will support and encourage your development in the following areas:
• Gaining CCP status at Practitioner level or above
• Knowledge of defence equipment & systems
• Knowledge and application of ICT/Security/Defence standards e.g., JSP/NIST/ISO27001 etc
• Information risk management
• Knowledge of evolving digital technology/applications e.g., AI/Digital twins/Quantum computing etc
Cyber Security Engineers can choose their permanent workstation from the list below:
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH
Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX
MOD Manchester, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester, M1 2WD
Due to security requirements, these posts are open to sole UK Nationals only.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities of a Cyber Security Engineer
As a Cyber Security Engineer in our ITS team you will be empowered to:
• Develop artefacts and evidence used in the assessment of cyber risk, and considering the implications of changes to equipment design, offering mitigation advice in the process
• Build strong working relationships across all areas of the business, including interfacing with authorities like the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC)
• Engage with internal and external stakeholders, to gain an understanding of their requirements and translate these into an agreed set of deliverables and outputs
• Implement and effectively develop cyber security guidance, policy, and tools
• Convert business objectives into tangible outputs and support the mitigation of the strategic cyber risk
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• You will hold a relevant Level 4 qualification (e.g., HNC or Foundation Degree) in an Engineering or Science subject or demonstrate equivalent experience.
• You will demonstrate the ability to manage multiple projects and deliver to agreed expectations
• You will demonstrate the ability to prioritise and manage risk
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• EFCF4 – Technical Decision Making (Supervised Practitioner)
• EFCF5 – Technical Risk Management (Supervised Practitioner)
• Communicating and influencing
• Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
Please note, our salary bands are under review and may increase. If the outcome of the review results in an increase in the minimum salary and your salary offer falls below the new minimum, your salary will be increased to the new amount from your contracted start date. If the new minimum is less than the salary you are offered, the original salary offer will be retained.
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people, and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for the Cyber Security Engineer role by creating an account and uploading your details.