Job description for Communications Engineer
Here at DE&S, we are transforming how those who defend our nation prepare for possible threats, whilst keeping us safe. By joining us, you’ll help create, develop, and maintain the most innovative defence systems available, enabling our Armed Forces to continue protecting the UK’s borders and shores.
We are looking for an experienced Communications Engineer to join our skilled Ships division; do you want to be part of the UK defence industry’s future?
Our Communications Engineer post plays an integral role in ensuring the availability and capability of the Royal Navy (RN) and Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) ships. You’ll join our team of highly specialised and expert communications professionals to help support, oversee and deliver key engineering assurance that all communications equipment used by our RN and RFA is safe by design, and safe to operate.
Due to the nature of security requirements, this role is reserved for sole UK nationals only.
Responsibilities for Communications Engineer
As one of our Communications Engineers, your responsibilities will cover a vast array of communication systems used by our Military including internal and external communications, and message handling systems. You’ll use your core communications expertise to advise and provide support on the whole lifecycle of these systems, from maintaining legacy systems to obsolescence resolution and regeneration.
In this role, you will also have the opportunity to:
- Manage, coordinate and liaise on project-specific Engineering Management plans.
- Support and lead on key change projects, identifying and mitigating risks.
- Lead installation working groups and providing engineering guidance.
- Coordinate and manage acceptance testing and Harbour Acceptance Trial schedules.
- Support the management of safety artefacts to feed Safety and Environmental Case Reports (SECR) and Hazard Logs, keeping them up to date and accurate.
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislations and standards, including both internal and external regulatory policies and procedures.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Hold a relevant HNC (i.e., Level 4 or higher) qualification in an Engineering or closely related subject, or have the equivalent relevant experience.
- Have wide ranging depth and breadth of technical experience in communications engineering, with knowledge and application of systems engineering approaches.
- Have demonstrable experience of managing and engaging with both internal and external stakeholders
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation and Acceptance (Practitioner)
- Technical Decision Making (Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday.
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards.
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required).
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression.
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more.
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering.
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period).
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.
Please click the link below to apply for Communications Engineer by creating an account and uploading your details.