Job description for Commercial Officer
As part of our Commercial function, you’ll join a diverse team of around 1,000 people who support the successful delivery of defence procurement programmes with real world impact. Equipping and supporting the UK’s armed forces, these programmes range from peacekeeping to disaster relief to humanitarian aid projects – and we’re proud to help deliver them while ensuring compliance and best value.
You’ll benefit from a clear career path with plenty of opportunities for progression, support from colleagues and mentors to develop your career, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We have multiple opportunities for experienced Commercial Officers to join our teams in Abbey Wood, Bristol. If you are interested in playing your part in running and supporting procurements for Air, Sea, Land or Strategic Enabling Projects then apply now!
This is an excellent way to begin or continue your career in the Civil Service. There are a large number and a variety of roles available within both DE&S and SDA working on projects in support of the British Armed Forces. You will be supporting them in everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid projects.
The career path in our Commercial Function will enable you to develop the full range of commercial skills used in the organisation. With the support of a dedicated Functional Development Officer; an experienced commercial mentor and a large network of experienced peers and colleagues. You will be actively encouraged to test and develop new skills in a variety of roles and projects.
In addition to full induction and on the job training we actively encourage ongoing career development including professional qualification. We provide an array of training and other development opportunities to help our employees develop their skills and experience for a great career supporting the Armed Forces.
We also promote and support a range of flexible working patterns enabling colleagues to balance home and work responsibilities.
Please note that some of the positions available will be open to Sole UK Nationals only and some successful applicants will need to be able to pass Developed Vetting clearance.
Please also note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Please note applications close on Sunday 11th December 2022 at 11:55pm.
Responsibilities for Commercial Officer
In this role, you will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Developing Invitation to Tender documentation, negotiating terms, pricing and placing of contracts up to a maximum delegation of £2.5M, in accordance with the Ministry of Defence policy.
- Supporting the development of new Procurement Strategies through analysis of the markets for Defence Equipment, ‘learning from experience’ with other teams in DE&S and using DE&S acquisition tools to advertise defence procurements to future suppliers.
- Lead and/or assist (depending on project value) in the portfolio management of Category A – D contracts, ensuring contract obligations are met in line with the contract and business requirements.
- Monitoring supplier performance management in accordance with Contract Management Plans.
- Contributing to wider Commercial function and business improvement activities.
- Communicating in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage staff where required, advising, coaching and developing Commercial Assistants.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Previous experience of sourcing, delivering, and managing contracts.
- Experience of managing, leading and developing others.
- Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office or equivalent and ability to use IT systems and programmes.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Tender and Bid Process
- Contract Management
- Working together
- Developing self and others
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more in the DE&S Little Book of Big Benefits, the SDA benefits guide, and ourpension schemes
This post is not eligible for relocation allowances.
Please click the link below to apply for the Commercial Officer role by creating an account and uploading your details.