Job Description for Commercial Officer
As part of our Commercial function, you’ll join a diverse team of around 1,000 people who support the successful delivery of defence procurement programmes with real world impact. Equipping and supporting the UK’s armed forces, these programmes range from peacekeeping to disaster relief to humanitarian aid projects – and we’re proud to help deliver them while ensuring compliance and best value.
You’ll benefit from a clear career path with plenty of opportunities for progression, support from colleagues and mentors to develop your career, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life. Her Majesty’s Naval Base Portsmouth plays a vital role in delivering maritime power for the UK Government on behalf of the Ministry of Defence. As one of three naval bases critical to the defence of the nation, the base represents part of the national framework for mounting, sustaining and recovering military operations.
We are looking for a Commercial Officer to join the Naval Base commercial team responsible for delivering the multi-million-pound contracts that enable the Naval Base to function on a daily basis, with a focus on supporting the infrastructure programme under the Hard FM and alongside services contract. Please note some attendance to the stated site will be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Commercial Officer
In this role, you will be responsible for but not limited to:
• Negotiating terms, pricing and placing of contracts up to a maximum delegation of £2.5M in accordance with the Ministry of Defence policy
• Lead and/or assist (depending on project value) in the portfolio management of Category A – D contracts ensuring contract obligations are met in line with the contract and business requirements.
• Monitoring supplier performance management in accordance with Contract Management Plans
• Contributing to wider Commercial function and business improvement activities
• Communicating in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders
• Manage staff where required, advising, coaching and developing Commercial Assistants.
• Supporting Commercial Integration matters, working with all stakeholders to understand integration and collaboration issues across all Naval Base contracts
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience in sourcing and/or managing contracts
• Experience in dealing with Internal / External Stakeholders or Suppliers
• Proficient IT skills including Microsoft Office and ability to use IT systems and programmes
• Good communication skills
If not already held, if successful you will be supported to undertake the following:
• CIPS level 4/or equivalent, or a willingness to work towards this by commencing study within one year of appointment.
• Have passed the MOD Practitioner Commercial Licence assessment, or be willing to undertake the assessment when agreed by line management.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
•Tender and Bid Process
•Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Commercial Officer by creating an account and upload your details.