Job Description for Commercial Assistant
As part of our Commercial function, you’ll join a diverse team of around 1,000 people who support the successful delivery of defence procurement programmes with real world impact. Equipping and supporting the UK’s armed forces, these programmes range from peacekeeping to disaster relief to humanitarian aid projects – and we’re proud to help deliver them while ensuring compliance and best value.
You’ll benefit from a clear career path with plenty of opportunities for progression, support from colleagues and mentors to develop your career, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more.
We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
Her Majesty’s Naval Base Portsmouth plays a vital role in delivering maritime power for the UK Government on behalf of the Ministry of Defence. As one of three naval bases critical to the defence of the nation, the base represents part of the national framework for mounting, sustaining and recovering military operations.
The position is to provide commercial administrative support to a dedicated Naval Base commercial team responsible for delivering the multi-million-pound contracts that enable the Naval Base to function on a daily basis, with a focus on supporting the contract management of its Soft FM contract.
The successful candidate will join our new Structured Learning Programme. This programme will provide candidates with the opportunity to:
• Develop skills and experience of the commercial function
• Gain CIPS Level 4 qualification and the associated commercial experience
This is an excellent opportunity to start your career in the Civil Service. The clear and structured career path within the Commercial function provides many opportunities for training and development including an apprenticeship option for those eligible. Further information of this can be provided upon receipt of application
In addition, you will be required to commit to obtaining a commercial licence. This is an assessment against the MOD Commercial competences, obtained by an internal licensing board.Please note some attendance to the stated site will be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidancebefore applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Commercial Assistant
This role will cover contract management and purchasing with responsibilities for the provision of general administrative support to senior team members dealing with all kinds of commercial projects and a wide range of different activities including:
• Supporting contract management/sourcing activities including attendance at contract review meetings
• Responding to requests for information
• Arranging training and development for commercial staff
• Arranging meetings, facilities and travel
• Administration and Management of contract files and records
• Supporting audit and assurance of commercial policies and approvals
• Collating, presenting and maintenance of management information
• Processing of purchase orders on an internal Oracle based system
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience of working in an administrative or Business Support role
- Minimum of 5 GCSE grades 4 – 9 (A* to C) including English and Maths, or equivalent
- IT literate with excellent written and oral communication skillsIf not already held, if successful you will be supported to undertake the following:
- CIPS level 4/or equivalent, or a willingness to work towards this by commencing study within one year of appointment.
- Have passed the MOD Practitioner Commercial Licence assessment, or be willing to undertake the assessment when agreed by line management.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Able to prioritise conflicting demands and have excellent time management skills
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Contract Management
- Working together
- Communicating and influencing
Please click the link below to apply for Commercial Assistant by creating an account and upload your details.