Military Transition Scheme – Combat Mission Systems Engineer (Royal Navy Weapon Engineer)
Are you a service leaver who’s passionate about using your knowledge and experience to ensure military equipment is safe to operate, resilient and capable? Join our Military Transition Scheme and you’ll join a unique hybrid environment, working closely with our military customers and industry to deliver and innovate.
At DE&S, we value the wide-ranging skills and experience of service leavers, and we’re working together with the Cabinet Office and Career Transition Partnership (CTP) to offer you the chance to take on a fixed-term contract of up to two years. You’ll become a civil servant with access to all of our usual benefits, including our support to develop and progress. From CV writing and interview preparation to on-the-job and formal training, we’ll coach and support you to apply for a permanent role with us when you’re ready.
We’re an integral part of UK Defence. We make sure our military is equipped, supported, and connected, as they protect life at home and overseas. We manage a vast range of complex projects to buy, support and supply vital equipment and services that the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force need, so they can operate safely and effectively. Engineering is the largest function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too.
About this role
Join our team as a Combat Systems Engineer and manage and deliver the continued safe operation of vital systems across the Royal Navy fleet. You’ll use your leadership and people skills to motivate and encourage the wider team, while using your in-depth technical knowledge and experience of Royal Navy platforms, weapon systems and equipment to provide creative and innovative solutions to technical challenges.
Depending on your skills and experience, you could be:
- Determining customer requirements and generating technical specifications
- Managing equipment or system requirements and their acceptance
- Provide through-life support throughout project lifecycle
- Supporting and managing systems integration and verification, and assisting with the production, acceptance, and resultant configuration management
- Establishing and overseeing project engineering activities from concept to delivery, including testing and trials, design change management, installation planning, and capability transition into operational service
- Challenging technical assumptions to identify improvement and innovation opportunities
- Use your Royal Navy engineering experience to provide technical support and assistance to platforms.
We have roles at Level 2 and Level 3 available – talk to us about your experience and we’ll discuss the most suitable grade for you to join us on. Once you’ve joined, we’ll give you all the support you need to keep progressing.
- Level 2 – £32,500 to £35,000 per annum
- Level 3 – £43,400 to £47,000 per annum
Col retired from the RAF and now works as an Engineering Manager in our Ships domain. He said:
“I’m very happy to be working in a familiar environment alongside military personnel, and I’m really supported to achieve my professional ambitions. What’s more, the organisation understands that family comes first and if someone wants to work flexible hours, or work part time or in a job-share, they’ll bend over backwards to accommodate. Here, everyone works together to achieve the organisation’s objectives. That’s how I know I’ll finish my career working for the MOD.”
Who are we looking for?
You’ll need to have experience in sensors, electronics, navigation communications and command systems engineering and integration, and be able to tell us about your experience in providing technical advice and delivering successful engineering outcomes in the Ships environment. If you also hold a Higher National Certificate (Level 4) qualification or higher in an engineering discipline, or have demonstrable equivalent knowledge skills and experience, you’ll be ticking all our boxes.
We employ many military service leavers, and we’re keen to attract many more. Your experience aligns with our purpose, and your knowledge means you’ll add value for both our end users and the taxpayer from the get-go. In turn, we offer great opportunities both in terms of meaningful, vocational work, and developmentally. ‘Your ambition leads here’ is a key theme in DE&S – we’ll empower you to achieve your goals, and offer progressive training and support to help you unlock a highly successful second career. The range of opportunities available to you is vast – so let us know where your specialism lies, and we’ll work hard to find a role that’s a great fit.
Please note only military and former military personnel are eligible to apply.
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- If you join us with a break in service from the military of less than five years, and you have completed five years of military service, the military leave allowance will be preserved, and you will be awarded 30 days of leave
- You’ll also get eight bank holidays and an extra day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- We promote flexible and hybrid working to support our colleagues with work-life balance however regular attendance on site is required
- Huge range of discounts through our partners including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced schemes for maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- Discover more about our benefits
Ready to achieve your ambitions? Get in touch:
Job contacts –
Names: Charlie Johnson and Marinos Loukaidis, Ships Engineering Capacity team