Job Description for Codification Manager
Our Integrated Logistics (ILog) function manages and delivers the tools, parts and in-service support that keep vehicles and equipment well-maintained, from their first launch to the day they’re retired from service. We’re pleased to offer challenging and interesting careers that bring a sense of pride and purpose. By joining our team, you’ll find yourself a role where your voice is heard, your impact is felt, and your contribution is recognised.
You’ll also benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women’s Inclusive Network, Race & Culture Network, Pride Network, Disability Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life.
We have great opportunities for a Codification Support Manager and a Codification Sales Manager to join the small United Kingdom National Codification Bureau (UKNCB) team, located in central Glasgow.
We will provide you with Codification training, enabling you to provide advice and guidance on a wide range of codification matters to our customers, both MOD and industry. You will also assist with providing Subject Matter Expertise to the business and help ensure that the proper processes and procedures are maintained.
The UKNCB are a team of MOD civilian Codification specialists and are the sole authority within the UK for NATO Codification. They use, manage, and maintain the UK’s only approved NATO Codification system (NCS), the biggest and most comprehensive codification and cataloguing system in the world.
Over 60 countries are members of the NCS and its 17 million NATO stock numbers. It provides a common ‘language of logistics,’ boosting the effectiveness of our armed forces, reducing costs, and facilitating both national and coalition operations.
For more information about UKNCB or NATO Codification visit our website: www.ncb.mod.uk
Please note some attendance to the stated site will be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Codification Manager
In this role, you will be entrusted with:
- Responding to technical codification queries from MOD and industry customers within set timescales. (Core)
- Providing regular feedback to management on these queries and advising if any policy updates are required. (Core)
- Maintaining a knowledge database of queries answered to ensure the specialist knowledge can be passed on. (Core)
- Building and maintaining relationships with various internal and external stakeholders to ensure that codification requirements are understood and to maximise the benefits to the MOD logistics system. (Core)
- Ensuring all UKNCB customer support documentation is regularly reviewed and updated to the correct information is available to our customers. (Core)
Specific to the Support role –
- Assisting the development and delivery of regular training to customers on the Codification Support Information System (CSIS), promoting the work undertaken by UKNCB and the benefits of the wider NATO codification system.Specific to the Sales role –
- Income generation – promoting the benefits of our commercial codification services and Industry codification training service, developing the business, and ensuring all sales are captured and accounted.Please note: DE&S HQ is located at Abbey Wood, Bristol, therefore occasional travel to Abbey Wood may be required for Business purposes.Due to the security requirements of the role, applications are open to sole UK Nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Ability to analyse technical data and interpret technical information, such as drawings, photographs, and schematics. (Core)
- Demonstrable communication skills, including verbal and written. (Core)
- Stakeholder engagement at all levels, internal and external. (Core)
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Experience in delivering training programmes. (Core)
- Military / Defence / Industry logistics experience. (Core)
- Technical work experience e.g., maintenance or engineering, or an advanced apprenticeship, or qualifications at level 3 / 4 in relevant subjects. (Support)
- Experience in sales/marketing/business development. (Sales)
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Managing support, supplier, and customer networks – Supervised Practitioner
- Making evidence-based decisions – Supervised Practitioner
- Communicating and influencing
- Managing a quality service
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people, and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Codification Manager by creating an account and upload your details.