Job description Aviation Safety Engineering Manager
We are actively looking for diligent and meticulous Aviation Safety Engineering Managers to join either an aircraft platform or an aircraft systems delivery team. Do you have an engineering background with a focus towards equipment safety? Are you experienced in systems safety management?
As our Aviation Safety Engineering Manager, you will support the development and management of effective safety management systems focusing on fast jets, transport aircraft, helicopters or cross-cutting commodities. Aviation safety is paramount and as an Aviation Safety Engineering Manager, you will play a vital role in the air environment.
You should be process driven and have keen attention to detail. We are looking for an Aviation Safety Engineering Manager to influence the safety decisions across the project life cycle, to ensure our Armed Forces are equipped with capable, safe-to-operate equipment. Safety is a niche area within our engineering teams, we expect you to arrive prepared to up skill, train and develop into the role.
In return, we offer ample opportunity to develop your skill set by supporting aircraft employed across all three Defence services; Royal Navy (RN), Army and Royal Air Force (RAF). Growing your career with us will enable you to use your skills and knowledge to develop yourself professionally, whilst being at the forefront of crucial and significant projects. This role would be suitable for STEM returners or those who have had a career break as we offer our employees training, development and mentoring so you can achieve your career goals and aspirations.
We operate hybrid working and your duty station can be aligned at any of the following locations:
- MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol BS34 8JH
- RAF Benson, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 6AA
- RAF Brize Norton, Carterton, Oxfordshire OX18 3LX
- DE&S Leonardo Helicopters, Yeovil, Somerset BA20 2YB
- RNAS Culdrose, Helston TR12 7RH
- RAF Lossiemouth, Lossiemouth, Moray, IV31 6SD
- RAF Odiham, Hook, Hampshire RG29 1QT
- RAF Waddington, Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN5 9NB
- RAF Wattisham, 2 Valley Road, Wattisham Flying Station, Ipswich, Suffolk IP7 7RE
Due to security, these roles are available for UK nationals (sole or dual) only, who are eligible for security clearance without caveats. If you hold a dual British nationality, your application will still be considered however there may be restrictions on your assignments or work travel. Each applicant will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note some attendance to the stated site will be required for this position. For all roles, there will be a requirement for some domestic travel.
Responsibilities for Aviation Safety Engineering Manager
As our Aviation Safety Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for developing, managing, and maintaining effective safety management systems. Including overseeing the management of tasks to ensure safety requirements are captured, whilst managing staff and/or contractors who perform safety activities.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Supporting the development and maintenance of policy and process to satisfy the DE&S corporate standards for acquisition safety.
- Developing, managing, and maintaining effective safety management systems. Identifying and analysing hazards and contributing to the identification and evaluation of risk reduction measures. Ensuring that all hazards and risk reduction measures are adequately documented and managed.
- Working with colleagues at all levels to ensure compliance with relevant UK and EU legislation and regulations, MOD regulations and DE&S policy.
- Developing and maintaining project safety assurance plans, monitoring compliance and ensuring that safety assurance evidence is gathered and assessed for safety case preparation.
- Producing, reviewing, endorsing and recommending acceptance of safety artefacts.
- Providing informed safety advice to decision makers through project safety panels.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Have a minimum of a HNC (L4) qualification in a relevant engineering related subject, or demonstrate the equivalent skills, knowledge and experience.
- You will hold Chartered or Incorporated Engineer professional affiliation, or demonstrate the ability to achieve this within 12 months of starting in the post.
- You will hold Practitioner status in system safety practices or demonstrate the ability to achieve within 12 months.
- You will demonstrate experience developing new safety management system tools & processes, such as ASEMS and/or POSMS.
- You will have experience of providing technical advice and delivery of safety products or services from within a regulated sector, such as aviation.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Compliance with Policy – Practitioner
- Complies with System Safety Requirements – Practitioner
- Communicating and Influencing
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more.
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering.
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period).
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.