Job Description for Assistant Safety Engineer
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
You’ll benefit from plenty of opportunities for development, access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, and a c.27% employer pension contribution. You’ll also have access to a wide range of employee networks, including the Women in Engineering Network, Parents Network, Race & Culture Network, Neuro Inclusivity Network – and many more. We recognise that the best people for the job may have commitments outside of work, so we’re pleased to promote flexible working to support our colleagues in balancing work and home life. Are you a Safety Engineer who would like to be empowered to make equipment safer for our armed forces to operate? If so, we can offer stability, career progression, access to world-class training and a supportive culture.
In our Land Engineering Division, we need Safety Engineers involved in delivery and support in our operations teams involved in the following areas:
- Weapons – munitions and weapon systems ranging from small calibre bombs and bullets through to strategic missile systems.
• Land Equipment – small calibre pistols, through military “laser quest” systems to main battle tanks and self-propelled howitzers
• The Integrated Battlespace – a diverse portfolio including communications and networks, together with some more classified capabilities. Covering areas as wide as the battlefield, some reaching into space.We actively encourage career progression and are keen to support you in achieving practitioner status as a Safety Engineer professional. There will be abundant opportunities for your continuing professional development within the safety sector. This includes training pathways, corporate memberships and a suite of safety focussed courses. If you’re ambitious to develop a specialised skillset and become a true expert within Safety Engineering, we offer all the tools and support you’ll need.Please be advised that due to the nature of security, some of these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals only. Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills & Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Assistant Safety Engineer
As our Aviation Safety Engineering Manager, you’ll identify and analyse hazards, evaluate risk reduction measures, and ensure that these are adequately documented and managed. You’ll be responsible for overseeing the management of contractual tasks to ensure safety requirements are captured, whilst managing contractors who perform safety activities.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Supporting the development and maintenance of policy and process to satisfy the DE&S corporate standards for Acquisition Safety
• Developing, managing, and maintaining effective Safety Management Systems. Identifying and analysing hazards and contributing to the identification and evaluation of risk reduction measures, ensuring that these are adequately documented and managed
• Working with colleagues at all levels to ensure compliance with relevant UK and EU legislation and regulations, MOD regulations and DE&S Policy
• Developing and maintaining project safety assurance plans, monitoring compliance and ensuring that safety assurance evidence is gathered and assessed for safety case preparation
• Producing, reviewing, endorsing and recommending acceptance of safety artefacts
• Providing informed safety advice to decision makers through Project Safety PanelsPlease note that due to their secure nature, these posts are open to UK nationals (sole or dual) only. If you hold a dual British nationality, your application will still be considered however there may be restrictions on your assignments or work travel. Each applicant will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Level 4 Qualification (HNC or NQF or above) in a relevant safety, engineering or science discipline.
• Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of safety products or services, in a work environment.
• Experience in the use of System Safety Management Tools and Processes.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria: In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- SYSSAF3 Complies with Sys Safety requirements (Practitioner)
- SYSSAF4 Adoption of safety risk management process (Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Assistant Safety Engineer by creating an account and upload your details.