Job Description for Assistant Engineering Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
Do you have experience in systems, sensors, electronics, communications, command and control, vehicles, software, network or radar engineering? We’re pleased to promote opportunities in these areas within our Integrated Battlespace (IBOC) and Land Equipment (LEOC) operating centres.
Within IBOC, you could play an integral part in delivering an array of ISTAR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition, and Reconnaissance) equipment, and provide engineering activities across the whole project lifecycle across all four Defence environments (Land, Sea, Air and Space) and other customers.
Within LEOC, you’ll play a critical role in delivering an array of heavy armoured tracked or wheeled vehicles, support vehicles, expeditionary equipment and clothing.
Positions are available across multiple delivery teams. Here, you’ll have the chance to work with new, emerging, and future technology, from concept to disposal, including integration and enhancing existing systems, for our country’s defence. As part of our team, you’ll develop your experience and build your career within diverse, exciting, and fast paced teams, alongside other highly skilled professionals.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, some of these roles are reserved for sole UK nationals only. Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
We strongly recommend tailoring your CV in line with our CV guidance before applying, with specific sections to highlight Key Achievements, Relevant Experience, and Applied Skills and Knowledge.
Responsibilities for Assistant Engineering Manager
As an Assistant Engineering Manager, you could be entrusted with:
• Supporting engineering aspects at all stages of the project life cycle (CADMID), maximising the opportunities available in both new and emerging technology
• Responsibility for the development, acceptance and maintenance of system requirements including in-service support
• Gathering and evaluating evidence from engineering artefacts to produce and contribute to engineering management plans
• Identifying and understanding technical risk and then communicating these to the appropriate stakeholder
• Analysing complex technical problems, and generating strategic engineering solutions
• Placing, monitoring and facilitating engineering contractual arrangements with industry partners
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Relevant Level 4 (HNC or higher) qualification or equivalent experience (e.g., systems, sensors, electronics, communications, command and control, software, network or radar)
• Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes in a work environment
• Technical experience in their discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Improve Engineering Capability – Supervised Practitioner
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance – Supervised Practitioner
• Communicating and influencing
• Making effective decisions
What’s in it for you?
Our careers offer stability, training, progression – and much more! Discover more about what we offer in our Little Book of Big Benefits. Find out more about our pension schemes.
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people, and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.
Please click the link below to apply for Assistant Engineering Manager by creating an account and upload your details.