Job description for Air Engineering Manager
Engineering is the largest business function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced, battle-winning technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too. Ready to make an impact that matters to the nation?
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom, with a good moral compass and a drive to protect people? Are you interested in joining the defence programmes that support the Royal Navy, Army and Royal Air Force’s capabilities? Are you interested in joining projects that are fielding the most technologically advanced Air Platforms in the world?
If you are an experienced Aeronautical Engineer interested in becoming part of the UK Ministry of Defence aerospace programme, supporting our Armed Forces in current and future operations, we have a number of unique opportunities within the Air capability delivery teams, supporting fixed wing platforms such as Fast Jets, “Intelligence, Surveillance, Targeting, Acquisition and Reconnaissance” (ISTAR), Heavy lift, and Pilot Flight Training Aircraft. We also have opportunities in rotary wing platforms like Apache, Merlin, Chinook, Wildcat, New Medium Helicopter, including Special Projects, Multi Air Platforms or the equipment, simulators and facilities that enable them. The teams are currently delivering and supporting battle-winning solutions to our Armed Forces, whilst introducing replacement aircraft that have more advanced capabilities.
You will have the opportunity to assist in the development of these exciting and innovative projects as these enhanced capabilities are fielded with our Armed Forces. You will have the chance to work across a broad spectrum of interesting and challenging engineering and environmental issues, with equipment that is at the forefront of technology.
As one of our Air Engineering Managers, you will base yourself in one of the 15 locations providing engineering support to front line maintainers, with scope to interact with engineers across the business:
MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH
Leonardo Helicopters, Yeovil, Somerset BA20 2YB
2 Valley Road, Wattisham Flying Station, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP7 7RE
RNAS Culdrose, Helston TR12 7RH
RAF Odiham, Hook, Hampshire, RG29 1QT
RAF Benson, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, OX10 6AA
AAC Aviation Centre, Middle Wallop, Hampshire, SO20 8DY
RAF Lossiemouth, Lossiemouth, Moray, IV31 6SD
RAF Brize Norton, Carterton, Oxfordshire, OX18 3LX
RAF Marham, Kings Lynn, Norfolk, PE33 9NP
RAF Waddington, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5 9NB
RAF Coningsby, Lincoln, LN4 4SY
RAF Leeming, Northallerton, DL7 9NJ
RAF Northolt, West End Road, Ruislip, Middlesex, HA4 6NG
RAF Valley, Holyhead, Anglesey, LL65 3NY
We are committed to developing our people whilst enabling delivery within defined project boundaries, supporting a positive and proactive mind set, with a great work/life balance and an array of other benefits that come with being a member of the Civil Service. Careers within us offer stability, professional development, and the chance to work on high profile and exciting projects, where we will continue to cultivate your passion for problem solving and leading others.
Due to its secure nature, these posts are open to UK nationals (sole or dual) only.
Interviews will only be conducted between the 28th of February and 10th March 2023. Please ensure your availability to book appointments on those days.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
Responsibilities for Air Engineering Manager
In these roles, you will be a subject matter expert for engineering issue management in direct support of the programmes; providing engineering direction and guidance to ensure the front-line maintainers have access to accurate technical instructions and information. You will use your extensive technical and airworthiness experience to enable effective equipment deployment to support this battle-winning capability.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Reviewing and managing the airworthiness issue management system (Resolve), providing support to all users of the system.
- Leading the development of engineering solutions to issues identified through practical application of the aircraft technical documentation
- Reviewing and assessing engineering and airworthiness information from multiple sources, determining priority, and generating technical instructions to disseminate airworthiness information.
- Reviewing and assessing the validity of the air system document set, ensuring its accuracy and, when required, developing amendments in a timely manner.
- Supporting review of critical spares and support equipment, reviewing, and recommending alternative items for endorsement when lead times impact on aircraft availability.
- Supporting information management of airworthiness documentation.
- Interfacing with industry as the intelligent customer.
- Providing technical advice to stakeholders to influence policies and processes, identifying technology risks, and informing strategies for mitigating them.
- Sharing knowledge and experience across functional and organisational boundaries and maintain relationships with stakeholders.
We welcome applications from those that will provide support in the following specialist areas:
- Avionic Systems
- Mechanical Systems
- Software System
- Aviation Mission Planning System
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- You will hold a minimum of a HNC (i.e., Level 4) qualification in a relevant Engineering or Science subject, or will demonstrate significant experience at this level of understanding
- You will hold Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer status with a recognised professional body, or be capable of attaining within 12 months of taking up the post
- You will have experience within a military or civilian aviation environment.
- You will demonstrate a depth and breadth of technical experience within an aviation in-service support, preferably in the field of avionics systems, and with experience of working across a wide stakeholder community.
- You will have experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical risk management – Practitioner
- Technical decision making – Practitioner
- Communicating and Influencing
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- 25 days’ holiday a year, plus 1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday.
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards.
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required).
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications, with plenty of opportunities and support for progression.
- A huge range of discounts including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more.
- Up to six days of paid leave a year for volunteering
- Enhanced maternity, adoption, and shared parental leave schemes, offering 100% pay for 26 weeks (after a qualifying period).
- We champion a diverse and inclusive environment, where everyone can be themselves and give their best. We believe that by harnessing the power of different ideas, experiences, and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
- Discover more about Little Book of Big Benefits and pension schemes.