Military Transition Scheme – Aircraft Engineers
Are you a service leaver with aircraft engineering experience, who’s passionate about using your knowledge and expertise to ensure military equipment is safe to operate, resilient and capable? Then we have a military transition programme for you.
At DE&S, we value the wide-ranging skills and experience of service leavers, and we’re pleased to be offering service leavers fixed-term contracts of up to two years. You’ll become a civil servant with access to all our usual benefits, as well as the support to progress and work towards holding a Letter of Airworthiness Authority. From CV writing and interview preparation to on-the-job and formal training, we’ll coach and support you to apply for a permanent role with us when you’re ready.
DE&S is an integral part of UK Defence. We equip and support the UK Armed Forces as they protect life at home and overseas. As part of this, we procure the newest protective clothing for the front line. We also create smarter tech for intelligence systems. And we make safer, more effective vehicles for land, sea and air. Engineering is the largest function in our organisation – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. Because it’s only by delivering the most advanced technology that we can keep those on the front line at the top of their game. That’s why we stay inventive and create positive change, with a strong focus on sustainable sourcing and minimising environmental impact too.
About our roles
At part of our team, you could be working on avionics, structural integrity (whole aircraft), mechanical systems, propulsion, electronics, weapons integration, security, software certification, or support equipment in an Air environment. You’ll help us manage technical risk, improve resilience, and deliver the innovations and capabilities that support front line personnel, as they defend national interests and support peacekeeping across the globe.
You can join us as an Aircraft Engineer in one of the following locations:
- MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol BS34 8JH
- RAF Coningsby, Lincoln, Lincolnshire LN4 4TG
- Royal Navy Air Station Yeovilton, Yeovil, Somerset BA22 8HT
- RAF Brize Norton, Carterton, Oxfordshire OX18 3LX
- RAF Lossiemouth, Moray IV31 6SD
- RAF Wattisham, Ipswich, Suffolk IP7 7RA
We have roles at Level 2 and Level 3 available – talk to us about your experience and we’ll discuss the most suitable grade for you to join us on. Once you’ve joined, we’ll give you all the support you need to keep progressing.
- Level 2 – £32,500 to £35,000 per annum
- Level 3 – £43,400 to £47,000 per annum
Keith Bethell CBE, DE&S Director Helicopters and former serving member of the Royal Air Force says:
“Given our close relationship with the UK Armed Forces, supporting military service leavers to find secure, meaningful and rewarding civilian job opportunities is something we feel really passionate about at DE&S”
Who are we looking for?
If you have experience in providing technical advice and delivering successful engineering outcomes in an Air environment – get in touch! You’ll also need to hold a Higher National Certificate (Level 4) qualification or higher in an engineering discipline, or have demonstrable equivalent knowledge skills and experience.
We employ many military service leavers, and we’re keen to attract many more. Your experience aligns with our purpose, and your knowledge means in many cases you’ll add value for both our end users and the taxpayer from the get-go. In turn, we offer great opportunities both in terms of meaningful, vocational work, and developmentally. ‘Your ambitions leads here’ is a key theme in DE&S – we’ll empower you to achieve your goals, and offer progressive training and support to help you unlock a highly successful second career. The range of opportunities available to you is vast – so let us know where your specialism lies, and we’ll work hard to find a role that’s a great fit.
Please note only military and former military personnel are eligible to apply.
We’re pleased to offer a generous benefits package to support everything from your work-life balance to your bank balance, including:
- A huge range of discounts through our partners including retail, sports, leisure, restaurants, gifts, days out, holidays, cinema, motoring, insurance, health care, gym memberships, and more
- A market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27 percent, an annual performance-based bonus, and recognition awards
- A clear career path with plenty of opportunities for progression
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications (you can expect plenty of support from colleagues and mentors too)
- We promote flexible and hybrid working wherever we can, to support our colleagues with work-life balance
- Discover more about our benefits
Ready to achieve your ambitions? Get in touch:
Job contact –
Name: Lance Croll – Engineering Strategic Capacity Manager