On the Scheme you’ll have the chance to develop your skills through hands on learning and training, including working towards a professional qualification.
You’ll be able to work within Delivery teams that procure and support the equipment for our armed forces. You’ll work alongside Project Managers, Finance and Commercial Officers, Inventory Managers, Technical experts, Risk Managers and Military colleagues to ensure that the equipment purchased, and the support provided, is fit for purpose and achieves the best possible value for money.
You’ll typically rotate through two one-year placements providing you with the opportunity to learn a variety of skills including:
- Project Support
- Risk Management
- Planning and Scheduling
- Cost engineering
- Cost controls.
During the two-year development programme, you’ll focus on roles across different business areas within DE&S.
You’ll start your first placement on arrival into DE&S where you’ll familiarise yourself with the organisation and start your onward career development. From here you’ll start to build your knowledge, skills, learning and experience within your placement teams. You’ll also start working with your training provider on the portfolio of evidence documenting your apprenticeship journey.
You’ll continue your rotation through the business working on different projects to enhance and build on your development. You’ll be providing further evidence towards your apprenticeship portfolio. Plus you’ll be studying towards your professional qualification.
What you’ll receive
- Specialist training while you’re on placements.
- A structured development programme with an external training provider.
- Working towards an APM Project Management Qualification.
Help and support
There’s plenty of support available on this Scheme. You’ll have:
- A dedicated scheme manager who’ll be responsible for co-ordinating your professional training and development throughout the scheme.
- A placement supervisor who’ll oversee your day-to-day management and provide on the job development opportunities.
- A dedicated skills coach providing you with key learnings that complement your everyday activities.
End of Scheme
- Once you’ve achieved the Level 4 Apprenticeship and successfully completed the scheme, you can move into a permanent role in one of the sub-function specialisms.
You’ll complete an initial application with your contact details and confirming your eligibility to apply and you’ll be invited to sit two online tests.
As part of your application process, you’ll complete a full application, and this includes uploading your CV. Your CV will need to clearly demonstrate the following areas:
- Key achievements.
- Relevant experience.
- Applied knowledge and skills.
If you’re a top scoring candidate you’ll be invited to a day-long assessment centre where we’ll discuss your Key Achievements, Relevant Experience and Applied knowledge and Skills. You’ll also be assessed against the technical competences and the listed behaviours, aligned to our DE&S Behaviours.
To apply you must have 5 GCSEs at grade C to A* (or equivalent) including English Language and Maths;
you must already have, or will achieve, two A Levels at grade D to A* in any subject (or equivalent).
It’s also beneficial for your CV to demonstrate any relevant experience, such as project skills, including through work experience or extra-curricular activities.
We are seeking individuals who are talented, motivated, and skilled apprentices to join our Project Professional Apprenticeship Scheme and become our Project Delivery Professionals of the future.